the old little woman

Friday, August 17, 2007

Some places

I cant decide if I like Phuket; likewise Bintan, Koh Samui or any beach resorts in Southeast Asia.

Too spoilt and cosy in cities where I dont have the word "tourist" printed on my forehead. People could tell I am not native; could be a student, an expat or a visiting someone. I'm just not them, and I'm there only for a short period. Being a tourist is different. It means carrying the following - a camera, a map and the perpeptual "hmm, we're going this way" look. Really, when I see non-locals taking pictures of the merlion, I'd go "fucking tourists"...

Oh well.

I like Phuket in that there are (probably) more tourists than locals. The Thais (in Phuket) are more interested in making you spend than ogling you walking around in bikini tops and surf shorts. You have a good mix of foreigners from all over. You know this is a not place you go to, for work or to visit friends. You just want to get away. Yeah, that makes one a fucking tourist.

Damn, I am a walking irony...

1 Comments:

Blogger cryssstal said...

Yes i know exactly what u mean. Loved koh samui, phangan and all that. its 90% tourist yeah i know, but you're not crucified for being a dumb tourist. in fact - you're celebrated like kings and queens. Been travelling in some european cities... and walking around town, looking everywhere but where you're going with map and camera, worried about getting mugged, queuing in endless queues at the museums, checking if the menu at a restaurant meets your budget - all that is so uncool.

6:45 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home